Citizens Library is the District Center for:
- Washington: Washington County Library System (14 member libraries), population of 207,211.
- Greene: Greene County Library System (2 member libraries & a system headquarters); population of 38,686.
- Fayette: 4 independent local libraries and an unserved population of 58,897 for a total population of 129,155.
A District Center is identified as a “strong local library serving the people of its community and providing a source of assistance to the citizens and local libraries within its district.”
The District Center provides leadership, coordination and consultation to local libraries. The Office of Commonwealth Libraries (Bureau of Library Development, PA Dept. of Education) relies on district library centers to accomplish library development priorities, introduce new programs and improvements to its member libraries.
The District Consultant Librarian provides professional library knowledge to local library directors by means of counseling and continuing education on all aspects of library services including by not limited to:
- Materials selection & collection development (including weeding);
- Services to special populations;
- Modern Library services, administration, library governance & finance;
- In-service training of local library personnel and trustees;
- Provision of public relations programs and materials.
District Services & Resources Include:
- District wide Inter-Library Loan and weekly delivery to all member libraries.
- IDS affiliate memberships for all district member libraries.
- Access to OCLC and Inter-Library Loan outside of Pennsylvania.
- Inter-Library Loan training & assistance as needed.
- Free library services at any resident of Washington, Greene and Fayette Counties.
- Access to professional reference services & resources.
- Access to a vast collection of local history and genealogy as well as a professional genealogy librarian.
- Access to professional assistance for collection development, collection maintenance & repair, and cataloging (Adult & Children’s).
- District Center Print Shop: prices are based on “materials only”. The print shop extension is 236. Call for assistance or to make an appointment.
- A designated Foundation Center Library. Databases & trained staff available. Please call to make an appointment.
- Continuing Education: Available to library directors, staff and board members on a yearly basis as well as continuing education scholarships for each member library.
- Coordination of district wide events (Summer Reading Club Night, Storywalk 7 Springs, PA One Book, PA Forward).
- Databases are available for both staff and library users: Heritage Quest (genealogy), Newsbank (America’s newspapers); TERC (Testing & Education Reference Center)
- OverDrive (e-content) contract & site management, content management, reports management, district wide coordination as well as publicity & marketing materials.
- Technology assistance upon request (basic troubleshooting for PC’s, automation systems, OverDrive)
- Assistance with E-Rate (in partnership with the I.U.1).
- Programming assistance yearly for each member library.
- Representation for the region with Commonwealth Libraries and PA Library Association as well as the Southwest Region.
- District Library Directors meetings held up to 9 times per year.
- Up-to-date information with regards to library trends, statewide initiatives, state standards, legislative initiatives & challenges.
- Maintenance of an up-to-date professional collection.
- Access to a full-time district consultant.
- Assistance with annual reports and state paperwork/deadlines.
- New library director orientation.
- Access to a professional staff for library improvement & development.